Saturday, July 11, 2015

My First Post (Intro)

     I am attempting to start a blog to help record my notes and progress through my Bible Studies. I may try to reach out and see if people will read or are interested in what I'm doing. For now though I am just trying to better compile my studies in a more organized manner for my benefit and of my family's. At first, I am going to get some of my larger posts on FB and get them here and expand on them. I will start with my first big post that really meant a lot to me concerning the new covenant. It had a lot to do with my conversion. God used this to draw me to Him and out of my past.

I am trying to change it out of rant format.

     I have been listening to the hymn "Agnus Dei". One of my favorites. "Worthy is the lamb" it says. I have been reading through and listening to a study on Hebrews and Daniel, it reminds me that His death on the cross and resurrection saved us and also gave us access to God through Jesus. There are no more old covenant customs necessary. The veil was torn, the temple destroyed. Jesus is now the high priest in heaven. The purpose of the Old Testament priesthood on earth was fulfilled (cf. Hebrews 7-8). Grace through Jesus now gives us access to God there is no more veil and holy of holies. It saddens me to see people adding barriers to God and taking people off the path to Christianity. Jesus was worthy and perfect. He took down the barriers. Don't put them back up. Over and over the apostles have told the church to stop adding to the gospel and to have faith in Christ ALONE. Anything else is not of God. Here are some areas we can study.

Galatians 1:6-9a I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-
7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.


We can read Paul's epistles to see what he taught the churches. 

2 Corinthians 11:13 such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.


Just like now and in recent past. False teachers disguise themselves but with an understanding of the Bible, you can unveil these men of Satan. Adding to scripture, desire of power, money and lusts usually is an easy sign to look for.

Hebrews 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him,
10 being designated by God a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.


Hebrews 7:18 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness
19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.


If you are reverting to old covenant works and customs, that may be an indication you are not setting aside weak and useless commandment. 

Hebrews 7:22 This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.
23 The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office,
24 but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever.



This is why the apostles founded churches with deacons, teachers and elders. The only head above an elder is Jesus. No temples were ever build, men and women of the Church are all priests in the sense we all have access to God through Jesus through nothing but His perfect blood. We are instructed to add nothing else to what was taught (New Testament Canon) Otherwise we are saying Jesus wasn't sufficient. 

4 comments:

  1. Joseph Smith

    "When a messenger comes, saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand, and request him to shake hands with you. If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand. If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect, he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear. Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the order of heaven for a just man to deceive; but he will still deliver his message. If it be the devil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not feel anything; you may therefore detect him. These are three grand keys whereby you may know whether any administration is from God." (D&C 129:4-9)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and taking the time to make a thoughtful response. I really appreciate it. If you would like to share with me more and talk in this loving kind manner I would be very grateful. I grew up in the LDS church and have much love and respect for the people. I enjoy study in the Bible and learning more about God. As a Christian it's my pleasure to talk more about Him. If you want to email me I'd be very humbled.

      Delete
  2. For a short time in my early teens a friend got me going to the LDS meetings. I joined and was baptized. I remember being taught we could become gods. Also that the sacred underwear was a priority. They shared a story about a women who had to help bathing so she would never go without having part of it on. I lost interest in it and after not going for years and moving a few times they tracked me down in an attempt to get me to return. A short time after their failed attempt I received a a letter telling me my name was taken out of the book of life. Even then with my limited knowledge of the scripture I knew that book wasn't down here and no organization had control of it. After I came to know Jesus as my savior and getting into the word and studying about different cults and religions I found more about the false doctrine taught by this group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a blessing to hear of similar stories. How God can take anyone into His arms, no matter their situation. How looking at the Bible for the hundredth time and reading it for what it says for the first. I think these are the kind of miracles that happen so often that deserve much more praise. Thank you for sharing your journey. It is so encouraging.

      Delete