I have been in some good discussions these past two weeks. Some with believers, some with people of other religions and some with unbelievers. I hit a snag with some conversations with unbelievers. They often would debate faith, the Spirit and the capacity to believe. They would debate the authenticity of the three and the amount we as Christians rely on them. With all the knowledge they had, they couldn't understand why Christians would believe in the gospel and Bible. With all the information we shared, why would Christians have the faith to believe, and the understanding of the things of God, and unbelievers so clearly disagreed.
I would share what the Bible defines as faith and prayer and the gospel. We would be able to go from that point and grow in knowledge in the topics. But even with shared knowledge, unbelievers just can't grasp why Christians can believe in it all.
What I finally found in this study really put the pieces that I had together. What I knew already, but had trouble articulating is easily found in scripture. This helped as a guide and comfort to me in my discussions with unbelievers. That no matter how much knowledge one has, the power lies in the Spirit's gift of understanding and guidance.
God also makes believing in Him simple. To those that only have a basic knowledge of the gospel and of God can be saved by the power of the Spirit. It isn't a case of how much one knows, but the Spirit intercedes for us and gives us the understanding. This is why it is easy for anyone to believe, but not everyone. The gospel int't just for the "smartest" and most knowledgable in the Bible.
There was a time where knowledge equaled understanding. That was in the garden. When God dwelled with Adam and Eve. But once the fall happened, faith became a requirement for belief. Sin and the fall took away God's light from the earth and Satan was given dominion. Unless that veil of darkness is lifted by the power of the Spirit, the world system is all that we can comprehend. I found that no amount of scientific, prophetic, or historical evidence is sufficient. That those aspects of faith come after belief to grow a believer in their faith, not the other way around.
It is such a miracle that the Spirit would dwell in a believer. That we are rescued. That we need to go out and share this miracle as much as possible. That as believers we can grow in knowledge and understanding and grow in our own faith. How regular study in God's miraculous revelation, particularly the Bible, can not be under appreciated. I am so grateful that the Bible makes this particular topic clear to us and that I have the capacity to study it.
Thought putting the verses down here would be better. Please add to them in the comments. Thanks and God Bless.
- 2 Chronicles 12:14 - And he did evil, because he did not prepare his heart to seek the Lord.
- Psalm 119:41-45 -
- that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9-14 - But as it is written:
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 - For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10 - and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
- Ephesians 2:1-8 -
- Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
- Isaiah 58:2-5
- Daniel 9:3
- Acts 11:21
- Romans 12:3
- 2 Corinthians 12:11
- Ephesians 1:3-5
- Romans 3:10-12
- Luke 12:31